When Summer greets us, my family like to make the most of dining outdoors. And if it’s not quite warm enough or the mozzies are buggin’ a little too much to enjoy al fresco dining in the evenings, we like to BBQ and bring the food to the indoor table.
The vibe is often the same a few nights in a row – just because Summer cuisine never seems to get old: BBQ’d meat component, simple boiled waxy potatoes and a delicious salad usually do it. I’m easily pleased with a standard salad comprised of any variety of lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber and avocado, but every so often I like to present something with a little more finesse. And this was the perfect way to combine my beloved Perla potatoes and salad in the one dish.
This recipe originally came from the latest Dish magazine that I spent a good portion of a lazy Sunday afternoon devouring with my eyes. That was it – dinner was sorted in the few quick turns of several pages. I didn’t have everything on hand that the original called for so dropped in a few subs here and there to create this yummy salad. I will make the original when I all the ingredients, but I’ll also make this again many a time because it worked and was so good.
- 600 grams waxy potatoes, Perla are my favourite, washed
- 250 grams green beans, stem end trimmed and washed
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced very thinly
- 1/4 C olive oil
- finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 T capers
- 2 T slivered almonds, toasted
- small handful basil, finely chopped
- Cook the potatoes in a pot of salted water until tender. Remove from water and drain, when cool enough to handle, cut into wedges.
- Cook beans in a small pot of salted boiling water until just tender. Remove from pot and refresh in cold water. Drain and pat dry on paper towels to remove excess water.
- Soak the thinly sliced onion in cold water for 10 minutes. Then drain, and squeeze dry in a paper towel.
- Whisk the oil, lemon zest and juice and garlic in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper. Add the capers and the toasted nuts and basil.
- Add the warm potatoes, beans, onion to the dressing.
- Combine gently and transfer to a serving plate.