You asked for it. It’s not my own recipe, but my darling friend who runs Sugar Free Kiwi on Instagram has given me permission to share it with you all. This guilt-free snack is perfect for after school, for weekend movie watching, for the lunchbox or a late night sweet treat. Made with only 3 ingredients that are all readily available, it’s a good go-to recipe and these are good components to keep on hand in your pantry.
You can eat this and feed it to your kids knowing that it’s made up of only good-for-you ingredients.
Right – hop to it. And let me know what you think. And, if you’re on Instagram, give my friend a follow.
- 5 T popping corn
- 1 T vegetable oil
- FOR THE CARAMEL COATING
- 3 T coconut oil
- 2 T honey
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper and set aside.
- In a large pot, heat the vegetable oil over high heat. Place 1 kernel of popping corn into the pot. When you hear this pop, add the additional 5 tablespoons. Cook as normal, shaking pan vigorously to ensure no burning.
- Remove popped corn from the pot and transfer to a bowl. Set aside.
- In the same large pot, wipe out the excess vegetable oil and any kernels left behind.
- Add coconut oil and honey to the pot and stir until melted.
- Add the popped corn back into the pot and stir to evenly coat in the 'caramel'.
- Transfer the popcorn to the baking tray and spread as evenly as possible. Place in the oven and set your timer for 3 minutes to brown. Check and if it's not quite golden enough, return for another 2 minutes, keeping a close eye on it - you don't want it to burn.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool a little before transferring into a serving bowl or individual bowls. Be sure to cool it so little hands don't get burnt.
- BE WARNED, HOT HONEY IS LIKE HOT SUGAR = DANGEROUS!
- Sprinkle sea salt over the popcorn once removed from oven and stir through to create a kettle korn flavour.
- Into the pot with the honey and coconut oil, add 1 T of dessicated coconut for an extra textural component and additional coconut flavour.