There are nights I love placing a meal of long-time care and preparation before my little family and watching them enjoy every mouthful, savouring the flavour of each morsel that passes their lips. There are other nights where I am grateful to have a homecooked meal actually reach the table, just in time for the vultures to swoop and devour, less whinging, more eating. Bath, story and SLEEP!
This quick and easy dinner is fast and simple to prepare using fairly basic ingredients, but still makes me feel like I’m eating a meal that has been thoughtfully and lovingly prepared (albeit in an extreme rush!)
I know you probably have those nights in your home too so you’ll be grateful for this recipe. Again, it’s one I think you can amend and adjust to suit your family’s tastebuds and preferences or you can stick with the basic recipe as I’ve created it. It works. It isn’t gourmet but any stretch of the imagination, but the cream added at the end coats the spaghetti noodles and the simple combination of chicken, green beans and mushrooms is always a winner to me.
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 500 grams chicken breast or thigh, diced
- 250 grams green beans, halved
- 5 button mushrooms, cleaned and finely sliced
- 1 C stock (I used Harris' Mushroom & Thyme)
- 1/2 C cream
- salt & pepper to taste
- 500 g spaghetti, cooked al dente
- grated parmesan to serve
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions until just al dente. Drain, refresh with cold water, drizzle 1 T olive oil over, mix well and set aside.
- In a large pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and saute until softened and clear.
- Add diced chicken and cook until browned.
- Add green beans and mushrooms and cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Pour stock into pan and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Season to taste.
- Add cream and turn heat down. Simmer lightly for 2 minutes, until cream is heated through but do not allow cream to boil.
- Add handfuls of the cooked spaghetti to the sauce and stir through until well combined and spaghetti is covered in sauce.
- Serve with a hearty shaving of parmesan and a nice green salad on the side.