With Christmas just around the corner, it’s time to get baking. Although you may have already got your Christmas cake done and your plans are underway for Christmas day menu, it’s always good to have a little something loaded in the tins to accompany a late night cup of tea after a mammoth wrapping effort. Frozen goodies are always perfect also. You feel like a cookie but can’t be bothered baking? Oh wait, grab some frozen dough balls from the freezer, place in the oven and hey presto, 15 minutes later there are perfectly baked cookies in your mouth.
This is my classic Chocolate Chip cookie recipe that is perfectly adaptable to whatever additions or omissions you desire. The combination of Cranberries and Pistachios gives them a wonderfully Christmassy appearance with the classic red and green, but the flavours work well together, and the textural elements are delightful with the chewiness of the tart dried cranberries and the crunch of the nuts, tied together by the occasional burst of dark chocolate.
Always trying to make my baking more wholesome, and to thereby feel better about eating two at a time (!), I used half plain flour and half wholemeal in this batch and they were scrumptious. The inclusion of the wholemeal flour gave them an increased nuttiness and the bite was just that much more pronounced because of the extra fibre from the healthier flour. Don’t have any, or wanna go traditionally white flour only, feel free.
- 1 C plain flour
- 1 C wholemeal flour
- 1/2 t baking soda
- 1/2 t salt
- 170 grams unsalted butter, melted
- 1 C packed brown sugar
- 1/2 C caster sugar
- 1 T vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 C chopped pistachio nuts
- 1/2 C dried cranberries
- 1 C chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 165 °C. Line baking trays with baking paper.
- Sift together the flours, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, or the bowl of a stand mixer, mix together the melted butter, and brown & white sugars until well blended.
- Beat in the vanilla, egg and egg yolk until light and creamy.
- Mix in the sifted ingredients until just combined, being sure not to overmix.
- Stir in the nuts, cranberries and chocolate chips by hand using a wooden spoon.
- Drop cookie dough 1 tablespoon at a time onto the prepared baking trays, ensuring the cookies are about 5 cm apart.
- Bake for 15 to 17 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the edges are lightly toasted.
- DO NOT ALLOW THEM TO BECOME GOLDEN ALL OVER OR THEY WILL BE OVERCOOKED!
- Cool on the baking sheets for a couple of minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container for 3 days.
- Roll into balls and freeze if desired. To bake from frozen, add another 5 minutes to baking time.