Beetroot is without a doubt my favourite root vegetable. As a kid I only ever knew it in it’s tinned form, immersed in sweet vinegar and served sliced. My Nan made her own version which I came to prefer to the Watties one with which we were all probably most familiar. Less sugar, a little more pepper. My Dad used beetroot in his famous Chunky Root Vegetable Soup but besides that I don’t remember it served any other way. I certainly don’t ever remember having it roasted.
I started roasting it a few years ago and it’s been my own personal version of heaven ever since. Often I’ll roast it with potatoes, kumara, red onions and carrots for a super duper root vegetable medley, but sometimes I just want it to be the hero in a salad like this one.
The combination of these flavours is perfection to me. This salad is simple to put together, the beetroot can be roasted in advance and the salad assembled when it’s time to eat. And provided you don’t dress it until you’re plated up, it keeps well for lunches a couple of days in a row.
This has to be one of my favourite salads and works beautifully alongside chicken or beef or as a meal on it’s own.
- 3 large of 5 small beetroot, washed and cut into 1cm cubes
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 2 red onions, peeled and cut into quarters
- 3 handfuls of rocket
- 1/4 C almonds or walnuts, toasted and roughly chopped
- 150g feta, crumbled
- 1 t runny honey
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/4 C virgin olive oil
- 4 T white balsamic or white wine vinegar
- salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Beetroot do not need to be peeled, just remove any stringy bits and wash thoroughly before roasting. Cut into 1 cm cubes place on oven tray or shallow dish, drizzle in olive oil and season generously with salt & pepper. Roast for 30-40 minutes.
- Half way through roasting, add the red onion and stir to cover in oil and seasoning.
- When vegetables are done, remove from the oven and set aside.
- In a jar, add all dressing ingredients and shake vigourously until well combined. Season to taste.
- In a dry fry pan, over a medium heat, toast the nuts, taking care not to burn them. Stir or shake regularly - around 10 minutes total until well done. Set aside to cool. Roughly chop.
- When you are ready to assemble the salad, place beetroot & red onions into a bowl, rip or roughly chop rocket, add to bowl, crumble feta, add chopped nuts and drizzle dressing over.
- I added whole sprouted beans to this version photographed above.