Peanuts get such a bad rap these days and I completely understand why, but for those of us who are able to enjoy them, this slice is a pretty darn fine way to do so!
It’s not a pretty slice, it won’t jump out at you and demand the heart eyes emoji but be not fooled by its humble appearance. Perhaps if I employ my English degree, you will appreciate it more.
Imagine if you will, the delicious and classic combination of pure butter melted and combined with rich golden syrup and unadulterated cane sugar. Washed and filtered to remove impurities before being recrystallised, Chelsea Raw Sugar retains its natural molasses syrup adding a delicious depth of flavour and a gorgeous caramel colour.
This Rustic Peanut Crunch is equal parts satisfying, delicious and moreish. The base has a slight crunch and includes the familiar bite of desiccated coconut, held together beautifully by the aforementioned sugar, butter, syrup combo with an abundance of oven roasted peanuts thrown in for good measure. Baked to a perfect golden hue the entire base is then drowned in a golden syrup, butter and icing sugar combo.
Who cares how she looks right?!
Much like peanuts get a bad rap, so too has sugar been under intense scrutiny of late. Chelsea Raw Sugar is the perfect unrefined natural sugar product to use in your baking and you can be confident that the quality of your baked goods is not tainted or compromised in any way by using a less than perfect product.
I love Chelsea Raw Sugar for its textural addition to whatever it’s used in. I especially enjoy it on Weetbix with unsweetened Greek yoghurt, and it’s the sugar of choice we use for tea and coffee breaks around my home. It adds a crunch and it doesn’t have that same intense sweetness of caster or white sugar. It’s best suited to baked goods that do not require creaming of butter and sugar and is great in chutneys and preserving. It can sufficiently replace white sugar in your entire realm of sugar needs though if you are looking to encourage a refined-sugar intake.
So back to the Rustic Peanut Slice: this one is good for the bake sale, the lunchbox, guests, after school snacks, Sunday visitors, pretty much any occasion. Just remember though, it’s not going to win you any awards for it’s beauty.
- 140 grams butter
- 1/2 C Chelsea Raw Sugar
- 1 T Chelsea Golden Syrup
- 1/2 t Vanilla extract
- 1 C plain flour
- 1 t baking powder
- 1/4 t salt
- 1/2 C roasted blanched peanuts
- 1 C desiccated coconut
- 1 C rice bubbles *
- 1 T Chelsea Golden Syrup
- 2 T butter
- 1 C Chelsea Icing Sugar
- Sea Salt Flakes
- Heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Grease and line a slice tin with baking paper. Set aside.
- Melt the butter, Chelsea Raw Sugar and golden syrup in a pot over medium heat.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla.
- Mix the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Add the peanuts, coconut and rice bubbles.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in the liquid mixture, mix well to combine.
- Press mixture into the tin and flatten evenly.
- Place in oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, until the top is golden.
- While the base is baking, make the icing.
- Melt the butter and golden syrup together in a pot over medium heat.
- Add the icing sugar and beat well with a wooden spoon.
- Pour over the base when it comes out of the oven and is still hot.
- Leave for 10 minutes and then slice while warm with a sharp knife before the base sets too hard.
- You can use cornflakes if you prefer.
Now that you are super excited about trying out this slice with Chelsea Raw Sugar, you will be excited to know that I have a $50 Chelsea Prize Pack up for grabs. Head to my Facebook page to enter.