It’s so important to keep eating well at this crazy busy time of year. Make sure you’re getting your greens in and lots of vitamin C to stave off the exhaustion of the silly season.
This recipe was a delicious way to include lots of healthy greens to a favourite pasta dish that I knew my kids would devour and the husband would love too.
Alison’s Pantry has all your gifting needs sorted this year and is continuing to inspire people to make homemade meals, treats and gifts – because nothing beats homemade!
Kelly Gibney of Bonnie Delicious created a couple of amazing foodie gifts that I was lucky enough to receive last week using Alison’s Pantry products. I used her Pistachio, Broccoli & Basil Pesto in this pasta dish and am so thrilled I’m able to share this amazing recipe with you.
I have also been smearing this green goodness on crackers of all kinds and topping with cheese and shaved ham. Simple but perfect.
If you’re looking for a simple but satisfying mid-week meal in the lead up to Christmas and over the Summer, here’s one you will make time and again.
- FOR THE PESTO (makes 1.5 C)
- 1/2 C Alison's Pantry Shelled Pistachio Nuts
- 1 C small broccoli florets (roughly 1/2 head broccoli)
- 1 tightly packed cup fresh Basil leaves
- 3/4 C Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 1 small garlic clove, finely diced
- 3/4 C good quality olive oil
- Sea Salt & Cracked Black Pepper to taste
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 2 t olive oil
- 500 g free range chicken thighs (boneless & skinless), thinly sliced
- 1/2 head broccoli, cut into florets
- 1/2 - 1 C Pistachio, Broccoli & Basil Pesto
- 500 grams fusilli pasta, cooked to el dente
- Place pistachio nuts in a dry frypan over a medium heat. Lightly toast for a few minutes, moving the nuts around every 30 seconds or so to prevent them burning. Set aside to cool.
- Place all the ingredients into a food processor. Blitz until you have a smooth pastel Add more olive oil if you prefer a runnier consistency. Season to taste with sea salt and cracked black pepper.
- Cook pasta in salted boiling water until el dente. Set aside.
- In a large pan over medium high heat, place olive oil and diced onion.
- Add the chicken and cook until nicely browned.
- Place florets of broccoli into the pan and stir well to combine. Cook for approximately 5 minutes.
- Once broccoli is just cooked, season with salt & pepper and remove from the heat.
- To assemble. Mix pesto through the pasta and combine with the chicken & broccoli mixture.
- Spoon into bowls and serve, garnish with basil if desired.
- You can store the pesto in the fridge for up to a week, and in the freezer for up to a month.