Tuesday’s and Thursday’s have become my least favourite days of the week. Why? Because on those evenings from 5-6pm my five year old son has Rugby League training ten kilometres from our home. Picture it if you will –
Five PM: on dusk, the rest of Auckland making their way home from work along a road with a 60km speed limit, where those patrons using the road prefer to stick to the 50km speed zone of the rest of the city. In my car I carry three tired, hungry, usually grumpy children. We get to the field, one runs around and takes instruction from the whistle-blower called Coach while the elder and younger of my offspring run amok.
Six PM: it’s dark now. Traffic is thick like molasses and we crawl, literally, home. Arriving home to a dark house, a house that may or may not have a waiting meal – it all depends on how organised this Mama was before we left at 4.30pm.
As a little backstory, I am the kind of cook that stands in my kitchen at 5:30pm and decides what to make for dinner. I don’t meal plan and I struggle to think about what dinner will look like much before 5pm at the earliest. I am finding this new way of life a true challenge!
Now you know why I call it my T-Day Crazy! And now let me tell you how my T-Day crazy has been eased thanks to DairyWorks.
There are two things I’ve been working hard at to make these evenings a little easier to bear:
- A hearty afternoon tea before we leave for training
- A quick and easy meal that is mostly prepared and requires minimal work upon our return home at 6.30pm
Time really is of the essence on nights like these, and although I usually have no qualms about grating my own cheese, having little short cuts up my sleeve like pre-grated cheese in my fridge is a lifesaver. We go through stages of eating a lot of cheese in my family, so I’ve gotten into the habit of purchasing 1kg blocks, but if I don’t get through it all in time, it starts to either dry out or go mouldy before we’ve made our way through the block.
Here’s how I’m using the DairyWorks range to assist in our new ‘T-day’ routine – the new DairyWorks Grated range comes in five varieties and I’ve used two of the blends to create a couple of our go-to snacks and meals to deal with our Tuesday/Thursday conundrum. I’ve made our favourite Ham & Salami Quesadillas with the 3 Ch3eeze Natural selection for our pre-training snack. The 3Ch3eeze blend is a perfect mix of Colby, Mozzarella & Parmesan resulting in the perfect melt, sharpness and stretch to compliment the meat component and flour tortillas. Dipped in salsa & sour cream, my kids jump for joy when they see Quesadillas on the bench.
How to Make Easy After-School Quesadillas:
- 1 x packet of Flour Tortillas
- 1 x box of DairyWorks 3Ch3eeze Natural Grated Cheese
- sliced ham & sliced salami
- oil to spray pan
- Salsa & Sour Cream to serve
- Heat a fry pan over medium high heat and spray lightly with cooking oil spray
- Spread one tortilla with grated cheese (quantity to your liking but careful not to overflow)
- Sprinkle cheese with ham or salami
- Top with a second tortilla
- Place into preheated pan. Lightly spray the top of the upwards facing tortilla with cooking spray
- After 2-3 minutes, or when the underside is golden and cheese has started to melt, flip the quesadilla
- Cook until golden
- Remove from the pan and allow to cool for 5 minutes before slicing into wedges
- Serve with Salsa & Sour Cream
Jump for joy my kids do when I make Quesadillas, but they literally squeal with delight when they discover it’s Burrito’s for dinner! So using my favourite flavour of the Grated range, the Smokey Joe, I’ve created Burrito boats for an easy meal suggestion. As the name suggests, this Smokey Joe is a smoked cheese blend combined to create the most unique of flavours. This blend melts deliciously, a flavourful crowd pleaser and it works perfectly on our other favourite easy meal – Burritos. My kids adore any Mexican food and these easy additions to our family favourites make my life that much simpler on busy evenings with a young family.
How to Make Easy After-Sports Burrito Boats:
- 1 x packet of Soft Taco Boats
- 1 x box of DairyWorks Smokey Joe Natural Grated Cheese
- 500 grams premium beef mince
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 small brown onion, finely diced
- Taco seasoning
- Sliced iceberg lettuce, diced tomato, Salsa & Sour Cream to serve
- Heat a fry pan over medium high heat and add olive oil
- Cook onion until soft and clear
- Add mince and browned
- Add flavour sachet
- Serve in tortilla boats, top with sliced lettuce, diced tomatoes & grated DairyWorks cheese
- Serve with Salsa & Sour Cream
DairyWorks have created a convenience range perfect for consumers like me – smaller packaging, less waste and perfectly suitable products for individual requirements. Cheeses are available in 250g blocks, mini slice packs (72g), 200g grate & slices, Parmesan in a wedge or powder form, and super handy and very tasty cheese & crackers ten packs.
Make sure you visit DairyWorks for more information about each of their product range or check out the Dairyworks convenience cheese range in your nearest supermarket now.
* this post was made possible thanks to DairyWorks. All opinions are, as always, my own.