This term we have four nights in a row of evening extra curricular activities which mean I have to be super organised with quick dinners ready to feed my babes around 5.30pm. We never usually eat until 6.30pm but a combination of the extra curricular activities and increase to two days of preschool meaning Beau is exhausted come 6pm means an earlier dinner time is working out just fine. Shane and I are eating slightly later which works out fine too.
I’m getting better at remembering to take something out of the freezer the night before, so I’m one step ahead of my old-self, but it’s still not until sometime in the afternoon that I decide what I’m actually going to make that evening.
Today as I drove home from a morning of meetings, I was thinking about what I had in the fridge to go with the organic chicken drumsticks I’d taken out last night. I knew I had some bacon, a leek and a few mushrooms that needed using. I find one pot creations easy for nights like this – less dishes at the end of the making and also the ability to pop it in the oven and get on with other things. Today for me that was tidying up my crazy house and loading a Mother’s Day Giveaway on Instagram.
Anyway, I threw five ingredients together and the end result was delicious. I’ll be making this and variations of it for sure.
I’ve been sharing the real life making of dinners on my Instagram Stories lately so if you’re interested in watching, please check it out. It’s nothing polished or flashy, just total real life. You even hear kid battles in the background!
Anyway, here is one I am getting a few requests for so here goes.
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 large (or 2 small) leeks, washed and quartered and chopped
- 6 medium size button mushrooms, sliced
- 6-8 free range chicken drumsticks
- 250 grams bacon, sliced
- 3 C chicken stock
- 1 C pearl couscous
- Preheat your oven to 180º Celsius.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan over high heat. Saute the leeks until they begin to brown. Add the mushrooms and cook for a couple of minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add sliced bacon to the pan and brown. Remove and add to the vegetables.
- Place chicken drumsticks into the hot pan and brown off.
- Into a large casserole dish with a lid, pour 1 C of pearl couscous and cover with 2 C of hot chicken stock.
- Place chicken drumsticks over the couscous and top with the leek, mushroom and bacon combination.
- Place in oven and cook for approximately 40 minutes, until the couscous is plump and soft and the chicken is cooked through.
- You can switch out the couscous for quinoa, pearl barley or rice. Or set over cubed potatoes.